Vancouver, BC, May 23, 2019 -- MEDA is excited for the opportunity to participate in the Women Deliver 2019 Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia from June 3 - 6, 2019. The Women Deliver Conference is the world's largest conference on gender equality and the health, rights and wellbeing of girls and women.
The Women Deliver Conference theme will focus on power, and how it can drive - or hinder - progress and change. During this conference, attendees will examine power operating at three levels:
- The Individual's Power (examining girls' and women's individual power, self-esteem and agency)
- Structural Power (exploring and challenging systems, barriers and opportunities for progress in power relations, including political, economic and social structures)
- Power of Movements (how we can shape critical consciousness and marshal collective action for change)
MEDA program staff will participate in four events over the course of the conference:
- What: Gender-Smart Investing in Latin America hosted by Pro Mujer: Roundtable discussions on GLI themes
Description: MEDA will host a roundtable discussion on investment strategies that seek to intentionally and measurably address gender disparities and share innovative strategies to support gender-smart investing
When: Monday, June 3 @ 12-3pm
Where: Microsoft office (Pacific Centre, 7th floor, 725 Granville Street)
- What: Latin American Pavilion hosted by Pro Mujer: Table space showcasing MEDA GE programming
Description: Join MEDA for a lively discussion on how practitioners are promoting inclusive market systems through tackling gender-based constraints including access to finance, women’s time poverty, weak market linkages and more.
When: TBC but have requested following time slots- Tuesday June 4 @ 2:30-3:10pm and/or Wednesday June 5 @ 9:00-9:40am
Where: Latin American Pavilion, Convention Centre
- What: #LatinasDeliver cocktail event hosted by Pro Mujer, MEDA, Deetken Group: Networking opportunity
Description: MEDA will co-host a networking cocktail event with Pro Mujer and the Deetken Group. During this event, attendees will review main challenges and opportunities for the Latin American region, while presenting findings and notes from the week’s sessions, panels, and events.
When: Wednesday, June 5 @ 5-7pm
Where: Cactus Club Restaurant (1085 Canada Place)
- What: Shifting Social Norms for Women’s Economic Empowerment hosted by SEEP: Panel discussion and dialogue
Description: MEDA will be presenting on our women’s economic empowerment programming in Jordan and Nigeria and how our projects address social norms.
When: Thursday, June 6 @ 5-7pm
Can't join us in person? Participate in the conversation online by using the hashtags #MEDAvalues, #WD2019 or #GenderEqualityMatters to participate in the global conversation about power dynamics, economic empowerment and gender equality. You can also reach out to us directly on Twitter at @medadotorg! You can also watch the conference live on the Women Deliver website.
Want to learn more about MEDA's involvement at Women Deliver 2019? Download our 1-pager HERE.